Prestwold Hall and Burton on the Wolds -
A fine winter’s day for an 8 miles walk led by Michael Throup.
Starting in the village of Cotes, near Loughborough, we walked towards Stanford on
Soar, past the earthwork remains of the deserted mediaeval village, and then turned
off to the right, with views across to Stanford Hall, which was built in the 1770s,
and which, from 1945 to 2001 was the site of the Co-
Next we passed through through the small village of Hoton, with the Packe Arms on
one side (named after Charles James Packe, who restored the inn in the 1800s) and
the former village church, which is now a private residence -
Then on to Prestwold, stopping at the church for lunch -
We made our way back via Burton and on the Wolds and passing the Prestwold natural burial site.
(The pictures will refresh every few seconds -