Lowdham & Epperstone -
Over 30 walkers met at the Four Bells in Woodborough for this 7½ mile walk, taking in Lowdham and Epperstone. The weather was okay, and the threatened heavy rain held off, though jackets had to be put on a couple of times. An excellent walk, led by Michael Throup, with some fine historical buildings to be see along the way.
(Click on the forward/backward arrows to scroll through the photos -
Our meeting point was the Four Bells Inn at Woodborough.
Although rebuilt in 1927, there has been an inn on this site since at least 1762.
Until 1844, it was called The Eight Bells -
After leaving Woodborough, we walked through Ploughman Wood -
This is one of Nottinghamshire’s few remaining ancient woodlands, and was given to the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust by the government in 1996. The wood is recorded as early as the thirteenth century.
After some discussions about the route(!), we crossed the fields to Lowdham.
A nice view across the wheat fields of the church of St Mary the Virgin, with its twelfth century tower.
Near to Lowdham Church stands this “interesting” building.
A modern and flamboyant house, the Hutt replaced an even odder structure -
After Lowdham, our route took us through the attractive village of Epperstone.
Standing alone in a field next to Main Street, there is a small seventeenth century pigeoncote. A very distinctive architectural style; the dentil eaves are particularly local.
And turning onto Toad Lane, we passed this little building -
The Litchfield Library was founded in 1839, and membership cost 6d a quarter…
… The library was originally based in the village school, but this separate building was provided four years later.
Above the entrance there is a date stone commemorating its founding by John Litchfield esq.